Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Saving money, honey

When I registered for my baby shower, I went ahead and put a Baby Bullet on the list (at the insistence of my mother). A Baby Bullet is a contraption to take up space in your kitchen... and to make your own baby food. I figured I'd never use it because let's face it, it's so much easier to just go buy baby food that is already made.

Well since M is eating purees now, I thought I'd dig the thing out and give it a shot. She seemed to like certain foods that I had been buying in the little (convenient) baby food containers, so now would be the time.

Each container of baby food had two servings in it. However, M really only eats half at a time (if that sometimes) so I considered each container to be four servings. They're 99 cents a piece. So for a dollar, I could feed her four times out of one purchase. As it turns out, I'm saving buckets of money by making my own food. Sure, it takes more time, but when I can get 8 (EIGHT!) servings out of ONE banana, I'm going to consider that worth it.

I started with sweet potatoes and avocado. She loved sweet potatoes but had never tried avocado, so that was a gamble. I got one sweet potato for like 89 cents. And one avocado for 69 cents (luckily, those were actually on sale). I peeled and diced the sweet potato and boiled that sucker till it was super soft. Put it in the Baby Bullet with water and... look at that - I just got 16 servings of sweet potato. And the avocado? That got me 6 servings. So that comes out to 22 servings of food for less than 2 bucks. To get that much at the store would have been 11 dollars.

Yeah buddy.

I'm still figuring out what foods to make and when, because I don't have much storage space for a ton of food (the box comes with 6 baby bullet containers and one freezable tray of 6). So I would make some for the fridge to eat right away and then freeze the other stuff. Then just pop the frozen ones out of the tray and put them into Tupperware and save till I'm ready!

So far I've made avocado, sweet potatoes, carrots and bananas. M is loving them and I'm loving the extra money in my pockets!


The very happy looking Baby Bullet refrigerator containers

Sweet potatoes - frozen and ready to transfer to the fridge
The Baby Bullet freezer tray (carrots and bananas in this one)

Today's lesson: I like to save money.

No comments:

Post a Comment