Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Fool for food

I am in heaven... in love... so super duper happy! About my new food processor. Yup, I'm that person.

I got a food processor for Christmas (thanks, Mom!) and after my initial paranoia about not having a clue how to use one of these things, I drug it out yesterday for all my prep work on my chicken pot pies. I make pot pies and stick them in the freezer so if we need a meal in a pinch, I can pull one out and cook it. They taste really good and except for all the chopping and dicing, are super easy to make.

I always hated the prep part of them because you have to chop/dice 6 carrots, 6 celery stalks, 3 onions and 3 potatoes. Not to mention shredding the 6 chicken breasts as well. But with my new kitchen toy, this takes a matter of minutes. It's freaking awesome.

It took me a couple tries before I finally figured out the best way to slice everything up - but when I finally got it...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Then I decided, what the hell - I'll do a couple casseroles to put in the freezer too. One was super easy (read: requires no cooking, chopping, dicing, shredding, effort) and the other took a bit longer but I got to use my new processor again. Score.

Red and White Tortellini casserole - looks great, will have to let you know if it's any good!
Buffalo Chicken casserole - same as above
Sweet and Sour Meatballs - didn't freeze, but made the same day (verdict = LOVED)

I have no idea where I found the original recipe for the chicken pot pies, but read on below if you want to make them. I have it saved on my computer since I make them a lot. It says it makes 3 - it can easily make 5. It's a ton of food! The tortellini and buffalo chicken casseroles will make 8 different meals (instead of putting them in a 9x13, I split them into two 8x8 pans). The meatballs were about 3-4 meals. The pot pies? Those will last 2 meals each and I've got four, so that's 8 meals. I'm set for a while LOL.

So as soon as we buy another freezer (because our current one is stocked to the brim), I can make some more crock pot meals and casseroles. Now that I won't have to spend hours in the kitchen, I can make up a ton of stuff to have on hand! Because let's face it - I like my food.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is why I will never survive a diet. Oh well.




Chicken Pot Pie – if thawed in fridge, cook at 350 for 45 minutes (frozen, cook for 60-75)

Ingredients:
6 chicken breasts
3 onions
6 carrots
6 celery stalks
3 potatoes
42 oz chicken broth
3 cans of peas
3 cans cream of chicken soup
9" pre-made pie crust (one for each pie)
8" foil pie pans (one for each pie)

Directions:
  • Wash and trim 6 chicken breasts. Put in a pot of water on the stove and cook at med-high for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
  • Chop the onions, carrots, celery and potatoes.
  • Melt 4 tbsp butter in large pot and add all veggies except potatoes.
  • While veggies sauté, shred chicken and set aside.
  • Add chicken broth and diced potatoes to veggies after about 5 minutes and simmer over med heat until reduced by half.
  • Remove pre-made pie crust from fridge to sit for 10 minutes before placing in foil pans.
  • After broth is reduced by half, add in shredded chicken, peas and cream of chicken soup.
  • Line each foil pan with a pie crust.
  • Evenly distribute chicken/veggie mix into each pan.
  • Top each with remaining pie crust, pinching sides together with your fingers.
  • Cut 2-3 vents in the top with a knife.
  • Wrap well with plastic wrap and place into a gallon freezer bag.
  • Write cooking instructions and date on each one.
  • Place in freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment