Thursday, January 2, 2014

Job searching is e x h a u s t i n g.

I've been working since I was 15 years old. While I was in high school, I worked part time after school. While I was in college, I worked full time and did night school. I always thought THAT was tiring.

But job searching really does take a lot out of you. You can comb the internet, newspaper, and job boards for hours without finding something that fits you. Some days you find a ton of stuff - you apply for all of them and... you never hear back. It's really (really) frustrating.

I'm not looking for a full time job. I have one of those in the form of a 6 month old who is learning, discovering, and experiencing new things that challenge me each and every day. So if looking for a full time job is rough, try a part time one. Anything that pays a decent amount of money is full time. And since I'm looking for something close to home, I'm sort of limited. I mean, when you think about it - why would I take a part time job for 20-25 hours a week that pays $10 an hour and drive into Phoenix for it? I'd use up more in gas money than I would even be making.


So my search criteria on the various job search websites equals a part time job that is close to home and pays somewhat of a decent salary that I don't have to do an insane amount of work for. Yeah.

How I feel every time I search for a job
So after perusing numerous sites and making my eyes bleed, I started to think about things I like to do and decided I should check out pastry school. I like to bake and I've gotten somewhat decent at it - I could go to school and learn a whole bunch of things and maybe open an Etsy shop or something to put it to good use. But holy crap - a degree from Le Cordon Bleu for Patisserie and Baking is freaking $37,000!! Oh, but it includes books and uniforms. Uh, no.

After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I thought maybe I could go back to bartending. I did that for a while when I was younger, and I really enjoyed it. And whenever we sit at the bar to wait for a table, I can't help but watch the bartenders and sort of wish I was back there again. If I went to school, I could learn all the drinks that I have completely forgotten how to make. And maybe get a part time job at a hotel bar or restaurant or something. Or I could do this:


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment